Minggu, 05 September 2010

A superior saw for the money.

DEWALT DW788 20 Inch Variable Speed Scroll

DEWALT DW788 20 Inch Variable Speed Scroll

I entered the world of scrollsawing with a Dremel about 3 years ago. Not having used any other saws, I thought it worked pretty well. I couldn't use it on the higher speeds, though - even bolted on my bench it tried to shake my teeth out. I decided to upgrade, however, so I could work on bigger pieces. After reading everything I could I went with the Dewalt. Not painlessly, mind you - I'm not exactly made of surplus cash. I have to admit, though, that it has been worth every penny. Assembly was remarkably easy. I was up and running very quickly, and was amazed at how quiet the saw was. I can now crank up to any speed without having to hold on to my fillings. The lifting of the top arm to reset blades is a nice feature when fretworking, although it does take a little practice after years of working from the bottom up.

Overall, this saw has been a great experience. I only wish all of my tool buys worked out so well.

Get your DEWALT DW788 20 Inch Variable Speed Scroll Now!

4 komentar:

  1. This thing is so well designed and assembles so easily (2 screws), that I was cutting parts with a big smile on my face within 10 minutes of opening the box! The controls are where they should be, the air hose is just strong enough to do the job. Blade changing takes less than 30 seconds and the tension adjustment is superbly designed (turns the correct way and is even labeled!). FURTHERMORE, THE SAW IS WHISPER QUIET!!! It purrs.... The table is solid. The base is well designed and encloses all the moving parts (keeps the dust out and makes it EASY to clean up). Beveling is a breeze. The saw is so much fun to use that I wish they would have shipped it with a pair of extra motor brushes. Now..if they could just make an attachment to the work-clamp (little plastic pieces or something) that won't scratch really delicate work... Life is too short for cheap tools. I'm not rich (just barely out of school), but I'm glad I scrapped together the money to buy this saw rather than wasting my time and getting frustrated with the other junk I have seen on the market.

    BalasHapus
  2. The dewalt scroll saw has to be the smoothest saw I have ever used. It is very quiet and hardly no vibration. The upper arm lifts up to make threading thru holes from the top (no more lifting up the work and trying to find the hole on the bottom). The table is huge. Your work doesn't hang off the edge while your making your cuts. All the controls are up front so you don't have to reach to the back to apply the tension. Speaking of the tension it is not a spin type tension lever. It is numbered so you know just where to put it every time to make it just like you want it. The depth of the throat is also much bigger than all of the cheap saws out there. It is 20inches where as most of them are only 16inches. I've used the 22" Hegner and find that the Dewalt is a much better saw at a price that is so much less you could buy three of them and have $ left over. If your looking for a great saw don't waste your money on anything else.

    BalasHapus
  3. I took my time before making this purchase. I not only read all the reviews but had an opportunity to check out the saw at a wood show. This saw replaces a Delta scroll saw that I bought 10 years ago. I wanted a saw that was easy to use, with very little vibration. This machine fit the bill. There's hardly any vibration at all. It's one of the quietest tools in my shop. Blade changes and tensioning couldn't be any easier. The electronic speed control is a plus. The saw arrived from Amazon.com in excellent condition. The only assembly was attaching the table. In less than 10 minutes I was scrolling Christmas ornaments. The quality out of the box was excellent. I've put about a hundred hours on the saw so far and I have to say that it is addicting. It was a surprise to find that this tool was not made in China or Taiwan, it's made in Canada. Form and Fit are perfect. I've tried very hard to find something negative to say about this saw and have failed. It's a well made tool, a pleasure to use and I'm looking forward to many years of use.

    BalasHapus